Saturday, April 08, 2006

I Bid You Welcome!

Or so said the Count. No not Rich Monteleone, New York Yankee fans. Bela Lugosi in the 1931 classic, Dracula. Lugosi was the original nosferatu, a real scary vampire. But I am getting away from my point. Well, I like horror movies. Oh OK now to the purpose of all this:

Anyway, Welcome to my blog. This blog is going to be about many things, in the same way that Seinfeld was about nothing this blog will be about everything. Well, not everything, but close.

The title of this blog is in tribute to the bravest men on the planet: the United States Army Rangers. "Rangers Lead The Way" is their creed. The title of this website is in tribute to the greatest hockey team on the planet: the New York Rangers. Let me explain the origin of my affinity for both.

The first came in the early 1980s. I remember hearing the excitement coming out of my alarm clock radio by the nasally voice of legendary broadcaster Marv Albert when he described the New York Rangers. Known affectionately as "the Smurfs" they were a ragtag bunch with great personality. I was instantly hooked on that team. A team led by the helmetless captain Barry Beck, the brothers Maloney (Dave and Don), goalie Eddie Mio, and who could forget the wild hair of Ron"ooh la la Sassoon"Dugay. Incidentally, years later I would have the privilege of working side-by-side with Dave Maloney as we called several local high school hockey games for AM 1490 WGCH in Greenwich, CT.

So many great memories with the Rangers and some rough ones as well. But overall there is nothing I love more than watching the Blueshirts. Yeah there were some tough times from 1998 through 2004. But the Broadway Blues are back in the playoffs and ready to rumble in 2006. Best of all the Flyers and Islanders are eating our dust.

The second group of rangers that I admire is the United States Army Rangers. These are the best of the best in every way possible. I recall watching CNN in 1993 and was appalled by the horrible images of dead American soldiers being dragged through the streets of Mogadishu. But what stood out to me was the bravery of these U.S. soldiers. These guys were surrounded by what seemed like an entire city as their mission went so terribly wrong.

The story goes that American Rangers and Delta Force soldiers are in the capital city of Mogadishu to capture Mohammad Farah Aidid, a fierce warlord, whose group of thugs has caused the starvation of hundreds of thousands of Somalis. The mission falls apart as two black hawk choppers crash and these brave men are surrounded by an angry city seething for blood.

The solidarity and bravery showed by these men in such a perilous time is absolutely inspiring. I remember how disgusted I felt walking out of the multiplex after seeing the movie Black Hawk Down and then subsequently reading the book by Mark Bowden. What these soldiers faced embodies the expression "the road to hell is paved with good intentions." Rent the movie, read the book. This is one of the rare exceptions where the book is better than the movie. You will be angry, sad, but mostly inspired by these great Americans.

So I dedicate this blog to the US Army Rangers and all those who defend freedom each and every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you that Blackhawk Down is an awesome movie. We should never have left there. But we all know that Clinton hated the military!

TLM