Monday, August 21, 2006

What I Am Reading Now...

I picked up The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe over the weekend, paperback, of course. Awesome book! I have already read about 150 pages. This novel is a long one, probably about 700 pages. But it has pulled me in right off the bat.

Recently I was at an event at Manhattanville College where ESPN Radio had set up a booth. They were giving out all sorts of stuff if you answered some trivia correctly. So I took a stab and answered three questions. I came home with two prizes as one prize I used to trade up. I won a DVD of the Carolina Hurricanes run to the Stanley Cup Championship and I also won John Daly's book My Life In & Out Of The Rough. The book was approximately 200 or so pages. I have to tell you I found it to be quite depressing. The guy just doesn't see how much talent he has and how his problems with booze and gambling have hurt his career. His exploits on and off the course are funny, but at the same time the book is tragic. I hope there is a happy ending for Mr. Daly. He seems like a genuinely good guy.

So, oh yeah, I am reading Bonfire. Well, what usually happens for me when I read is that I have two books going at once. One long book that I really want to read but I know it's going to take a while. That right now is a book someone gave to me a few years ago called The First American:The Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin by H. W. Brands. That one is on the side and I read a little at a time. The book I am really reading right now is Bonfire. Pretty much when I read a book it either catches me or it doesn't. For example, I started reading Bonfire in the store and it caught me. So I bought it. But other books that people have given me, if I am not taken in by the first few pages, well, let's just say there's no chance of me reading it.

The Ben Franklin book is good I just know that it's going to take a while to read. So basically what happens is that if I get bored with one I can switch over to another for a while. I guess everyone has a method to their madness. I suppose I am only figuring out what mine is.

Well, that's enough of me for today. Thanks for stopping by as always. Feel free to leave comments, suggestions, complaints, riddles, whatever you like.

No comments: