Saturday, April 28, 2007

Odds & Sods: The Where The Hell Have You Been Version!

Wow it's been a long time since Odds & Sods has strutted its stuff. So who can we blame for O & S' absence? Why, of course, it has to be the Dudleys. I'm just not sure which Dudley at this point. Dudley Dudley, Dudley Dudley Dudley Dudley, D-Von, oh well, we'll save that for another time.

So let's take a quick spin around the globe...

NEWS
In Somalia, the al-Qaeda led insurgency has been crushed for the time being. That according to the Somali "government" that issued a statement earlier this week that they've killed hundreds of militants. I'm just wondering what role the U.S. played in this. It was confirmed in the latest edition of Foreign Affairs magazine that America's air force played a role in sending the insurgents scurrying earlier this year, although, Ethiopia apparently was the lead dog in that one. Some people might ask why I care? Well, any failed state in the world, particularly in the Horn of Africa is a potential launching ground for terrorist attacks against the U.S. and her interests around the globe. Somalia was the center base for the thugs involved in the dual 1998 embassy bombings in Africa. Far away lands indeed, but I still care about the safety of others. Don't you?

Meanwhile, the genocide continues in Darfur with approximately 400,000 being killed and two million driven from their homes into the neighboring countries of Uganda and Chad. I just can't believe that in 2007 there is a genocide going on and that there is not more outrage! Disgusting, we all should be embarrassed. If you want to speak out go here, it's not much but it is a start.

Hamas continues to lob rockets in the direction of southern Israel, mirroring what we saw prior to the standoff last summer. Syria reportedly is building up militarily along the Golan Heights and we all know about Iran's rhetoric. Bad news for Israel, especially since Israeli P.M. Ehud Olmert is in hot water over a bunch of scandals, so I'm not sure he will be able to respond. Many, are even calling for Olmert's resignation.

Saudi officials say they have nabbed 172 al-Qaeda members who planned a 9/11-style attack on the oil wells inside the Saudi Kingdom. I highly doubt anything that comes out of the House of Saud, whenever I hear such nonsense The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" goes through my mind. That country plays us for the biggest fools on earth! They tell us one thing in English and then go on t.v. and state the complete opposite in Arabic. Of course, if this country decided to really get serious about fighting the War On Terror, we would invest some money in getting more Arabic interpreters.

I haven't done anything in regards to Imus, however, here is the Hannity & Colmes' interview with former Imus Producer, Bernard McGuirk, broken up into three parts:






SPORTS
The NBA Playoffs started,...they did? I have no clue why but it has no juice for me at all. I am not even really that into the Lakers at this point. The Lakers? Well, as some of you may know when I'm not rooting for the Knicks, I pull for the L.A. Lakers. Now before anyone gets all huffy, let me explain. Growing up the Celtics used to clobber the Knicks, therefore I needed to root for a team that could clobber Boston. Who better but the L.A. Lakers? So the story goes, and just in case you are wondering my favorite basketball player ever is Magic Johnson, second is Bernard King.

I still just don't get why Kobe Bryant is so intensely disliked?

Good to see our old pal Marcus Camby win the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year award. Yeah, he just couldn't fit in with the Knicks!

The NHL Playoffs are more entertaining than ever, but so few are watching. What a shame. I never thought it possible, but I actually found two worst broadcasters than the old Devils' radio announcers. Where? On Versus, of course. Their coverage is pretty shabby, but I guess that's the best the NHL can do for right now. Former Flyer and Capital Keith Jones, though, is a great studio announcer.

BACK TO POLITICS...
Is there any good news to report? Well, N.Y.C.'s earnings were higher than expected and now show a $4 billion surplus. Mayor Mike is playing it smart by putting some money away for a rainy day. People had such low expectations of Bloomberg when he took office, but talk about someone who has exceeded those expectations. I'd love to see him run for President but it doesn't look like he is going to. The other day he and Al Gore had a pretty funny exchange about the other running for the Oval Office. Bloomy would be a welcome addition to the current stale compilation of Republicans running for four-year residency at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

I have believed for several years now that Hillary Clinton will win in 2008. Despite the fact that many believe that Barack Obama is more popular than Jesus (it's a joke dammit!) I still expect Hillary to win. Scary thought, indeed. Did you know that Hillary Clinton used to label herself a "Goldwater Republican" up until she went to college? Funny how people's opinions can sway, especially Mrs. Clinton's, whose positions on the various issues change colors in the blink of an eye.

ENTERTAINMENT
Although I have already reported this piece of news here, I will do so again: Anne Rice's bestselling book Christ The Lord: Out of Egypt, is being turned into a movie. Filming will begin this fall in Israel and is set to hit theaters a year later.

Unfortunately, I had to cancel my free-to-view card scheduled for tomorrow night which featured some really good matches. We'll do it another time.

In the mean time, if you love music, here is an interesting read.

I got to see Montgomery Delaney and Sloan Wainwright perform at the Watercolor Cafe in Larchmont about a month or so ago. The two were brilliant, absolutely brilliant!

Finally, R.I.P. David Halberstam - the world lost a tremendous mind!

No comments: