Monday, March 31, 2008

Wrestlemania Recap

24-Man Battle Royale
My pick: Kane. The winner: Kane. Not shown on pay-per-view but I read some surprisingly good reviews about it.

Finlay vs. JBL
I said Finlay. John Bradshaw Layfield won. JBL looks like he’s dropped a good amount of weight since he returned to the ring. There’s a bunch of unanswered questions with this one. I wonder if JBL is going to move on to fighting someone else or if more will be revealed about the Horsnwoggle-Finlay relationship?

Money in the Bank
I said CM Punk. The winner: CM Punk. Just a great match and may have been my favorite of the show.

Batista vs. Umaga
I said Umaga: Winner: Batista. Good hard-hitting match.

Shawn Michaels vs. Ric Flair
I said Shawn Michaels: The winner: Shawn Michaels. There was a piece of me that thought Flair and wanted him to win. But it just wasn’t meant to be. I’m really surprised this match wasn’t last. It would have been a great finish to have Flair enjoy the spotlight for as long as he wanted in front of a huge crowd one last time.

“Bunnymania”
I said Maria and Ashley. Winner: Beth Phoenix and Melina. Question: Where’s Mickie James?

E.C.W. Champion Chavo Guerrero vs. Kane
I said: Kane. Winner: Kane. Match lasted under 10 seconds; supposedly Chavo was being punished for hanging out backstage at a T.N.A. Event.

John Cena vs. Triple H vs. W.W.E. Champ Randy Orton
I said Randy Orton. The winner: Randy Orton. Sometimes when everyone is saying a match is going to go a certain way, it goes in the complete opposite direction.

Big Show vs. Floyd Mayweather
I didn’t really predict a winner in this one, did I? I really thought there would be some kind of screwjob, like another wrestler running in. But Mayweather used brass knuckles and some chair shots to score the win. First half of the match was awful, but then the bout picked up the pace and intensity.

The Undertaker vs. World Heavyweight Champion Edge
Superb match. I said: Undertaker. The Winner: Undertaker. The last 10 minutes or so of the match showed how good these two guys are.

QUICKIE THOUGHTS:
- Orlando crowd was dead.
- Ric Flair looked to be in phenomenal shape. Forget being in that good of shape when I am 58, I want to be in that kind of condition now – at 33. Like the late Gorilla Monsoon would say, “You don’t get to look like that waiting for the bus!” Time to hit the weight room.
- Edge put on a great show with The Undertaker.
- Where is the Mayweather-Show angle going?
- I was way off on the order of the matches.
- Good to see Matt Hardy renew his rivalry with M.V.P.
- No question to me now that the original plan was for Jeff Hardy to win the M.I.T.B. and then he would have cashed it in later in the night against Randy Orton. You wonder if Hardy will ever return to the level he was at.
- Which champion will CM Punk face when he cashes in his M.I.T.B. victory?
- Whatever happened to tag team wrestling?
- As far as my picks, I did fine (6-4). But I really prefer to be completely wrong. It was a very good show, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Which champion will CM Punk face when he cashes in his M.I.T.B. victory?"



I think that CM Punk will move to Raw to feud with Shawn Michaels now.




dave

Sean G. Kilkelly said...

Dave,

Thanks for the comment.

That would be a real interesting match if they ever put those two together.

I heard the WWE Draft is going to be in late April about a week or so before the NFL Draft.