Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Man Who Got Me Into Wrestling

I remember when I was a little kid, my oldest brother and I would watch the channel two evening news together. I largely ignored the news and played puff, or Nerf, basketball. But when sportscaster Warner Wolf came on and did his weekly “Plays of the Week” segment, my antenna went up.

Wolf used to always throw in a wrestling clip – usually from Madison Square Garden – and what got me into it was a feud at the time that was going on between two masked wrestlers. I remember how cool the masks were and I got hooked. I’ve always been a fan of the masked wrestlers – the mystery behind it I suppose, or maybe because there were some good ones back then such as Mr. Wrestling II, Tiger Mask and Masked Superstar. Owen Hart would later also don a mask and was known as the "Blue Blazer," in an attempt to succeed on his own merits and not off of his older brother Bret's.

I recently commented on the blog penned by Jim Ross that WWE 24/7 should feature the masked guys one month. He liked the idea.

So this wrestling thing all goes back to the great Warner Wolf.

No comments: