Thursday, July 10, 2008

Odds & Sods

The doomsayers must be having a field day right now with some of the negative news that is going on. Me? I just decide to post an “Odds & Sods.”

NEWS
Iran shoots off missiles while Usama bin Forgotten’s 16-year-old son makes a hate-filled video; just another happy-go-lucky day in the Middle East.

Is Rev. Jesse Jackson jealous of Barack Obama? His latest vulgar comments would make it seem that way. By the way, Bill O’Reilly says there is more on the tape of Rev. Jackson spouting off, but why is he and Fox News withholding it?

SPORTS
I haven’t been able to comment much on the Rangers' comings and goings, but I am disappointed that Jaromir Jagr is not only no longer a Blueshirt, but will be playing out his career in Russia and not the National Hockey League. I always liked Jagr and to me he is the best European ever to lace up a pair of skates in the N.H.L. He was a model Ranger and led the team out of the abyss that was 1997-2004. So long Jags, see you at the Hall of Fame in Toronto.

Meanwhile, the return of Brendan Shanahan to New York also seems unlikely, albeit not entirely out of the question. He may go back to where it all started: New Jersey.

The loss of Shanahan and Jagr also meant that it was probably a good idea to let Sean Avery walk. The two elder statesman kept the tempestuous Avery in check. I don’t think that the new leaders, Chris Drury and Scott Gomez would have been as effective in that role. Dallas giving Avery a no-movement clause (no minors, no trade) could end up being quite bitter if things go badly for the Stars.

Hank Steinbrenner loves charity! Not.

Will the Knicks or Nets win the LeBron James sweepstakes in 2010?

Mike Francesa is rumored to be heading to the MSG Network. I just wonder when he’ll start talking U.F.C. since their ratings are high and Mike bases what he talks about on ratings. Right.

MOST IMPORTANTLY
VH1 will be honoring The Who with several days of programming beginning Saturday night that will lead up to the big show one week from this evening. Next week I’m going to post my top 10 favorite Who songs and here is one that will be on the list, “I Can See For Miles,” which was the song that got me hooked on the band from Shepherd's Bush...

It was a summer weekend afternoon, I was 12-years-old and had just finished caddying at Ridgeway Country Club in White Plains. I was bringing in the golf bag that I carried for 18 holes to the bagroom where they would clean the clubs. I remember the guys who worked in there were always listening to the old 101.1 CBS-FM. But the song that was coming out of the speakers was different than the typical stuff CBS would play. This song had arrogance and was macho, yet showed a slight bit of male sensitivity in its lament of finding out about the nefarious acts of a girlfriend. It wasn’t some sappy love song by any stretch of the imagination. Not only did I like the lyrics and scorching vocals, but the guitar slashing, the bass strumming and the manic drum playing hooked me in.

Musical tastes in my house ran the gamut, so I had been exposed to many different types of music and I am sure that I had heard The Who before, but on that particular day, at that precise moment, this song sucked me in and my fondness for the group has only grown since.

It’s not going to be number one on my list of favorite Who songs and probably most Who fans wouldn’t rate it as their favorite, but Who cares (literally), it's the song that started it all for me. Here’s the video of “I Can See For Miles” below:

No comments: