Thursday, July 17, 2008

VH1 Honors The Who

Tonight VH1 Honors The Who will air at 9 p.m on both VH1 and VH1 Classics; to say that I am looking forward to the show would greatly understate my feelings.

I usually scoff at having pop culture figures as heroes because they WILL let you down at some point as they are human just like we all are. That’s what the song “Won’t Get Fooled Again” is all about; not putting anyone on a pedestal, nor making someone or some ideology the “new religion.”

Yet, I will say that The Who have had a profoundly positive impact on my life and if there was anyone in the world that I would love to meet and chat with, it would be the surviving members of the band: Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend. I particularly would love to sit with Pete Townshend as I have always been intrigued by his creative prowess.

Nonetheless, I hope VH1 does the right thing and in addition to paying homage to the original members, gives due to all of those that have contributed so greatly to the band over the years such as the group’s early managers, Kit Lambert ( May 1935 – April 1981) and Chris Stamp; the group’s late publicist Pete Meaden; producer Shel Talmy; the incredibly brilliant producer Glyn Johns; Who soundman Bob Pridden and former drummer Kenney Jones. I also hope they give a nod to current Who members Zak Starkey (drums), Pino Palladino (bass), Simon Townshend (extra guitar) and John”Rabbit”Bundrick (keyboards).

R.I.P. Keith John Moon (August 23, 1946 – September 7, 1978)

R.I.P. John Alec Entwistle (October 9, 1944 – June 27, 2002)

Long Live The Who!

No comments: