Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Odds & Sods



Ahhhh the last days of summer...

NEWS
Get ready to be burnt out on election coverage. Figure from the start of the Democratic National Convention on August 25 all the way until the November election, we will be barraged with coverage by the media. On one hand I love politics, but on the other the media will just be so over-the-top with their reporting. When we start hearing about what the candidates like on their Cheerios then will all know we’ve heard too much.

Anyone else besides me a bit tired of the whole “go green” thing? I’m all for taking care of the environment, but this is another issue that folks are going to get burnt out on.

Predictions:
Obama-Joe Biden (Evan Bayh would probably be better).
McCain-Charlie Crist (although I like Bobby Jindall).

Questions:
Will there be an "October surprise"?
Anyone know who started Cold War II?

Things to be happy about:
They settled that whole bigfoot rubber suit thing.
The Summer Olympics are almost over. Yeah, sure I'm a party pooper!

SPORTS
So Mike and the Mad Dog are through, eh? Despite the fact that I have criticized their show, I still listened/watched – though not nearly as much as I once did. I was a listener from the very start and have some fond memories of their shows and some not so fond memories. I will never forget the way they covered the news that Magic Johnson was HIV positive. Mike Francesa and Chris Russo did a really good job in covering that very sad story.

They were long overdue for a breakup in my opinion. Mike, to me, has been mailing it in for the past five years. In many ways, they mirrored the New York Yankees in that they peaked in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I’ll give both right up until 2003, but that is a stretch. All things must and do pass…

The current state of the way the Yankees are run makes me wonder if Derek Jeter will ever again win a championship as a Yankee. Regardless, I see no reason that he should not be on the team until he retires. The suggestion, as was done over the weekend, that he might not be re-signed after his current deal expires in 2010 makes for interesting copy but is foolish. Also, the idea that the Steinbrenners are going to sell the New York Yankees is also a bit outlandish.

Carl Pavano has a crink in his neck. Ah, poor baby. Guess he won’t be able to save the Yankees this year….or next….or the year after that.

The Chicago Cubs got booed at Monday Night Raw in their home city of Chicago. Classic! Almost as good as when E.C.W. fans in Philly booed Santa Claus.

I really can't believe that the Rangers start training camp soon!

MUSIC
Sorry to see saxophonist LeRoi Moore of the Dave Matthews Band passed away at the way too young age of 46.

Happy birthday to "dear boy" Keith Moon (August 23, 1946 – September 7, 1978). Moonie used to use that term, "dear boy," in a snobby accent when mocking the British elite.

No comments: